Seems like everything I do everyone already knows how to. When I received quite a few questions on how to make these I thought I would post it here for you all.
This is how I make my icicles. There is still time for you to make some too!!
~Cotton Batting ~ must be cotton not polyester...just doesn't work well.
~Thicker Gauge Wire
~Instant coffee or walnut stain
~mica or anything for sparkle
- Cut the batting into strips about 1 1/2" wide as long as you want your icicle to be. I cut mine about 9" long but if you are putting them on a small tree you probably would cut them 4 -5" long. The length depends on the size of tree you are going to put these on.
- Next cut the wire about 3" longer than your fabric strips. Make a hook on each with the extra 3 inches.
- Mix the glue and water together to make a thin runny mixture. Add a little instant coffee or walnut stain. Don't make it too dark because they will darken a little as they dry.
- Place a large sheet of foil on an old cookie sheet.
- Dip the fabric strips into the grubby mix making sure to coat it well and then squeeze out the excess.
- Starting about 1/2" below your hook, wrap the fabric around the wire. I wrap it around once and then go back and tighten it so that it is snug on the wire.
- Lay them on the foil as you go not letting them touch.
- When you have as many as you want, (cover and save your leftover glue mixture, you'll need this later) either air dry them or place them in a warm 170 degrees oven until dry. I turn them once or twice while drying.
- When dry, bring out your excess glue mixture. Using a brush, I use a foam brush, lightly dip in glue and run up one side and down the other of the icicle and then sprinkle with mica. Let dry and you are done.
Wishing you all a wonderful Christmas week!
Warm winter hugs ~ Jenn xo