No not squirrel and dumplings ~ Chicken!
I've been out walking and feeding the birds. It's cold today but sunny. I love seeing all the little animals in the winter. This is Steve. He has been visiting us every day since last June. He's been to all our family functions since then....thinks he's one of us.
For the last month he's been following me from feeder to feeder until he gets a treat. Everyday he gets a few pieces of dried fruit and nuts on a deal that he won't invite friends and stays out of the feeders!
Now the Chicken and Dumplings....this meal is so satisfying on a cold day. A great version and definitely keeper! I'll be making it again and again, it was so easy and made a lot. This recipe is courtesy of Lucinda Scala Quinn from her Mad Hungry cookbook. You can find it here or down below. Delightful!!
FOR THE CHICKEN
- 1 3- to 4-pound chicken
- 1 onion, halved but root end left intact
- 1 large carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, coarsely chopped
- 4 sprigs of fresh parsley
- 1 turnip, trimmed and chopped (I didn't have this)
- 2 parsnips, coarsely chopped
- 8 to 10 cups water
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
FOR THE DUMPLINGS
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill or parsley