observations, ideas and inspiration... from my pennsylvania home, garden, kitchen, and studio

Friday, July 15, 2011

Summer Loves

I love the winter but my true love is really summer.  

It builds a nest right in my heart starting with those first little blossoms of spring, twig by twig. 
 
Lake Erie's gorgeous lighthouse dated 1872
We have been enjoying these long summer days that go by so quickly.  Taking mini-vacations or "daycations" as we've been calling them.

Last week we visited Erie, PA.  Presque Isle is a lovely park with bike trails, beaches, and bird watching.  The lake was so clear and everything was a beautiful blue.

Dino & Lydia exploring the shore.
 
I will be writing from time to time just not as often as I usually do.  Once school starts again, It will all be back to normal.

I have been sewing and promise there is a pumpkin patch growing in my studio with an update coming soon.

You can find a few new listings on the Primitive Gatherings today.

I felt like Cinderella working on these little mice!

Pumpkin Lady has been sold ~ thank you!
Both mice are sold ~ thank you!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm trying to squeeze it all in here, since I don't know when I'll be back on the puker (as our friends little girl calls it).

Thought I'd share a very simple recipe for blueberry tart.

Being the season, I've been making a lot of these.

They can be made as fast as the oven takes to heat ~ love it!



Fresh Blueberry Tart

Crust:
1 Cup Flour
3 Tbsp Sugar
Pinch of Salt
1/2 Cup (1 stick) Butter, cubed
1 Tbsp Vinegar (I use apple cider)

Filling:
5 Cups Fresh Blueberries
1/2 Cup Sugar
3 Tbsp Flour
Juice from half Fresh Lemon (approx. 3 Tbsp)

Pinch of Salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In food processor, combine flour, sugar, salt, and butter.  Process until crumbly, like corn meal.  Stir in the vinegar.  Pour into tart pan and press evenly into bottom and up sides.  Place in refrigerator.

In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, salt, and  blueberries.  Squeeze lemon juice over berries and mix.

Remove tart shell from fridge and spoon in berry mixture.

Bake on cookie sheet for 50 minutes to an hour.  Mine always takes an hour.

  Let cool before serving.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

farmer's market
swimming
breakfast on the back porch
fresh picked berries
reading by the pool
(i just finished Donna Bell's Ladybug books!)
tag sales
campfires & roasted marshmallows
the beach
summer concerts
daylilies
picnics & bbq's
lightening bugs
warm evenings
garden tomatoes
drive-in movies

My summer loves...what are yours?

8 comments:

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

So lovely to see you back Jenn, and to see you have had a wonderful time with your family! So needed with all the busyness coming!
The tart look so yummy and inviting too!!
I'm starting a "patch" of my own as well and love the little mice on their tuffets...so sweet!
Take care and enjoy your mini-breaks!
Blessings~~
Julie

Beehive Needleworks said...

I am delighted to "see" you again Jenn! It is quite understandable that you and your family wish to enjoy the magical days of summertime.
Thank you for the tart recipe. Yesterday I picked a two pails of wild, black raspberries in our little woodland. Sooo, I may just bake up a black raspberry raspberry tart today...yummmy!
Wishing you many lovely adventures with family, friends, and your wee mousies!
Hugs...
Judy

Doreen Frost said...

Hello Jenn. What sweet offerings..love that pumpkin gal. I have a pumpkin ..fello (i think)..in the works made from paper mache..what fun!

Sounds like you are having a wonderful summer and isn't it nice to stay away from the "puker" now & then!

Thank you for the recipe..it looks wonderful and blueberries are SO good for you.

wishing you a lovely relaxing summer and sending hugs, Doreen

Sabrina @Falling Leaf Woodworkers and Primitives said...

mini vacations are the best... I hope you have many and enjoy everyone. my gosh, that blueberry tart looks devine. Here is maine, blueberrys are plentiful so this might just have to get made...Yummo
Have a fab friday
Sabrina

ctlogcabin said...

Hi Jenn ~~ So nice to see you again, love hearing whats up at Rabbit Hill. Your Tart looks Yummmy !! Thanks for sharing. Judy my mouth is watering with the thought of making it with the Wild Black Raspberries,
I'll have mine with a scoop of vanilla ice cream thank you. lol
Sending Love & Big Summer Hugs ~ Connie

Janet - underthewillow said...

Hi Jenn!...it's so good to see a post from you!...and thank you for paying me a visit!...I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your summer so much, that's wonderful!...loved the pic of Lake Erie, had no idea what the shore looked like...your handmades are wonderful as always and your tart looks super yummy!...have fun!
Janet

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Hi Jenn! That tart looks wonderful! I love your little mice too!
I guess my favorite thing about Summer is berries and fresh veggies. So yummy!
xx, shell

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Jenn,

So glad that you are enjoying the summer and getting out and about. I love the pretty lake photo and the lighthouse.
Your mice and the Pumpkin Lady are darling.
Thank for sharing the Blueberry tart, looks delicious.

Enjoy the summer
Hugs
Carolyn

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts