observations, ideas and inspiration... from my pennsylvania home, garden, kitchen, and studio

Monday, March 17, 2014

Happy St. Patrick's Day/Easy Corned Beef

We have a few little traditions here, we wear green, make a little Americanized Irish dinner, and watch "The Quiet Man".  I am a tiny bit Irish so it's kind of fun!
via
We always have the same thing for dinner....Corned Beef, Cabbage and Noodles, and the best Irish Soda Bread.

via
I'm posting this quick little recipe for Corned Beef, first, because I wanted to share with you; and second, my hard drive went on my laptop last week and I lost a "few" things. My recipe file here is my "back-up" for favorites.  Plus they are easy for me to find without having to use my "other" system...aka a stack of a hundred or so printed recipes.

via
I buy the flat rectangular cut of corned beef.  It's usually packaged with a tiny pouch of seasoning.  Follow the directions on the package for cooking the beef via the simmering method.  When it is finished cooking (this is the yummy part), slice the beef and place it on an oven-proof platter.  Mix up 2 tablespoons yellow mustard, 2 tablespoons catsup, and 1/3 cup brown sugar packed.  Spread it all over the corned beef.  If it's a big piece double the mixture.  Put in a preheated 350 degree oven for a bit to warm the sauce and serve.  That's it!  Delightful!


Sadly, I lost my "Quiet Man" dvd and they are not showing it today on TCM.   "The Quiet Man" is an annual classic for St. Patrick's Day, the same way "It's A Wonderful Life" is for me at Christmas. One of my all time favorites. If you don't know what I'm talking about, its a wonderful classic movie from 1952 staring John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. Not a western (ha ha) but a lovely, funny, romantic film, shot partly in Ireland.  Here's a little clip I found on youtube so you can see what I mean.



If you can't find a way to see it today, mark your calendars because it is scheduled to air on April 23 at 12:30 pm on TCM. You can sign up for a reminder from them here:  http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/24069/The-Quiet-Man/

Have yourself some good luck today!
xo Jenn

p.s. If you've emailed me in the last week, I am still figuring out how to get my Rabbit Hill email back up and running and will get back to you very soon!!  So sorry.

4 comments:

Primitive Stars said...

Happy St.Patricks day to you, yummy supper, sounds so good...love all the green goodies, beautiful pictures, Blessings Francine.

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Jenn,
How yummy that sounds!!! I might just have to try that!
The Quiet Man is a special favorite as while we were watching it our daughter's fiance stopped the movie and asked permission to marry her, during the courting part!!!!
We will never forget that!! They will be married 2 years this Sept. so we said YES!!!
Love all your photos with that lovely green too!!
Warm Hugs~
Julie

Margs Primitive Quilts said...

LoVed seeing all your hits of green. Have a great day!

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Jenn,

Loved seeing all your beautiful green - hope you had a lovely St Patricks day.
I often cook my corned beef at the end with a glaze of brown sugar, cinnamon, ground cloves and pepper and it makes it nice. We had bangers and mash with an onion gravy for our dinner.
Happy week
hugs
Carolyn

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts