Finally the scone recipe. No, the house is not finished but we have made some progress and I'm able to get back to baking!!
A favorite recipe of mine. Everyone seems to like them except my Mom and she's not the picky one. Even my Dad enjoyed a few...he is the picky one. If he knew there was lemon rind in this he would probably pass out! We won't tell him.
Make these today and be happy!
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
3 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
5 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Place flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl and whisk together with fork.
3. Add lemon zest to butter slices. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, quickly cut in the butter mixture until it resembles coarse meal with a few slightly larger butter lumps.
4. Fold in the blueberries. Stir in the heavy cream with a fork until dough begins to form, about 30 seconds. You don't want to over mix. It's a scone not a stone :)
5. Transfer dough and all dry flour bits to a countertop and knead dough by hand just until it comes together into a rough, slightly sticky ball, 5 - 10 seconds.
6. Pat out into a 3/4 inch thick circle. Either cut into pie shaped wedges or use a biscuit cutter and punch dough out. Push together remaining pieces and punch out several more rounds. I prefer the wedge because 1. its easier and 2. you can only punch out the dough twice before it's overworked and the rest needs to be tossed...who wants to waste that delightful goodness?
7. Place on an ungreased cold baking sheet. Bake until the tops are light brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes. Serve warm or room temperature. Makes 8 Scones.
I never get to do a tutorial!! Seems like everything I do everyone already knows how to. When I received quite a few questions on how to...
What a gorgeous day we are having. The Settlers' Fare was a success and I'm glad to be home. I've been working in the garden t...
Somedays I'm not really sure what to write here on this little blog. That was today. Then I remembered I had a few pictures to share wit...