observations, ideas and inspiration... from my pennsylvania home, garden, kitchen, and studio

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Can't believe it's been a week!


Where did the last week go?  Seems like it was just yesterday that I posted that granola recipe.  I've been catching up on orders and knitting here.  I finished my scarf....woo hoo!  I'm now working on a summer shawl, which I'm sure I'll get to wear sometime neeexxt summer!

If you have a few minutes go check out my knitting groups blog....Dyed in the Wool.  My friend Jess posted a story for them about a GORGEOUS skirt she knitted.  You've gotta go, even just to look at the pictures....it's beautiful!!!  She's beautiful!!!

We had such a miserable day yesterday with bone-chilling cold rain ~yuck!  The only hope was looking out my kitchen door at all the spring bulbs and flowering trees blooming away.  I gave up trying to work and ended up cooking and baking the day away....a few muffins for the old muffin top!

Mr. & Mrs. Chickadee kept me company by cleaning out the feeder all day long.

This was the first time I made this soup.  It's from one of my favorite cook books "The New Best Recipe".  I had the ingredients so I went for it.  This stock makes so much delicious beef that I was able to freeze some for next time.  Loved this recipe.  Served with crusty bread, it was perfect for cheering up the day!



Beef Noodle Soup

part 1
Rich Beef Stock
1-2 TBSP Canola Oil
6 pounds beef shanks, meat cut from the bones
1 large onion, halved
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 quarts boiling water
1/2 tsp salt

Heat oil in dutch oven or stockpot over medium-high; brown the meat, bones and onion halves on all sides in batches.  Add extra oil if needed.  Set aside all contents.

Add red wine to empty pot; cook until reduced to a syrup, 1-2 minutes. 

Return all meat, bones and onions to the pot.  Reduce heat to low, then cover and sweat the meat and onion until they release about 3/4 cup dark, very intensely flavored liquid, about 20 minutes.

Increase heat to medium-high and add the water and salt; bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to very low, partially covered, and barely simmer until the meat is tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Strain the stock, discarding the bones and onion, set meat aside, reserving half of the meat for another use.

Let stock stand until fat rises to the top; skim and discard.  When meat is cool, shred into bite-size pieces for use in soup.

part 2
The Soup
1 tbsp canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped medium
2 medium carrots, chopped medium
1 celery rib, chopped medium
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 cup drained canned diced tomatoes
2 quarts beef stock, plus 2 cups shredded beef (from above)
2 cups home-style egg noodles (uncooked)
1/4 minced fresh parsley
Salt and Pepper

Heat oil in stock pot over medium-high heat.  Add the onion, carrots, and celery.  Saute until softened, about 5 minutes.  Add the thyme, tomatoes, stock, and meat.  Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer until the vegetables are tender and the flavors meld, 15 minutes.

Stir in the noodles and cook until just tender, about 8 minutes.  Stir in the parsley and salt and pepper to taste.  Serve immediately.

3 comments:

Beehive Needleworks said...

There is a cold rain here today as well. Baking and handwork seems to make for a perfect day!

Enjoy a peaceful evening Jenn...

Fondly, Judy

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

I'm with you. The time is just flying by! Our weather is crazy here. One day warm the next day not. I never know what to wear.
xx, shell

Doreen Frost said...

Good afternoon Jenn :) We had that nasty cold rain yesterday and you are right..it was perfect for cooking and baking..and reading :)

This soup looks scrumptious! I shall have to try it soon :) Thank you for sharing the recipe.

I agree..this week has fairly flown by!
Hugs, D

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts