observations, ideas and inspiration... from my pennsylvania home, garden, kitchen, and studio

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Lattice-Topped Rhubarb-Strawberry Pie

When I was little I liked to bake pies.  You know how your NOT suppose to work the crust too much?  I played with mine like it was play dough.  Then I'd roll it out, drop in a can of "Thank You" brand cherry pie filling, add the top crust, which I don't recall rolling, but tossing and flattening out like pizza crust. 

I still remember the compliments my parents gave me....."It looks beautiful." or "The filling is so good!"



Some things never change and I still like to bake pies.  I've improved on my crust making a bit, although my lattice work is a little primitive. 

Rhubarb is my most favorite pie.  This year wasn't a good one for my rhubarb, so I've added a small portion of strawberries to fill it up.  Enjoy!
Jenn xo



Lattice-Topped Rhubarb-Strawberry Pie

For crust
  • 2½ cups all purpose flour
  • 1 scant tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • ¾ cup cold butter, cut into chunks
  • ¼ cup cold lard, cut into chunks
  • ¼ - ½ cup cold water

For filling
  • 4 cups 1/2-inch-thick slices trimmed rhubarb ~ I use my kitchen shears for this, it's so much faster.
  • 2 cups strawberries, hulled, halved
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 TBSP cornstarch or flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 large egg yolk beaten to blend with 1 teaspoon water (for glaze) plus additional teaspoon of sugar
To make crust:
Combine flour, sugar and salt in processor. Using on/off turns, cut in lard and butter until coarse meal forms.  If you don't have a food processor, a fork or pastry cutter will do the trick.  Blend in enough ice water, 2 tablespoons at a time to form moist clumps. Gather dough into ball; cut in half. Flatten each half into disk. Wrap separately in plastic; refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.  Let dough soften slightly at room temperature before rolling. 

To make filling:
Preheat oven to 400°F. Combine all filling ingredients, except egg yolk mixture and additional sugar. Toss gently to blend.

Roll out 1 dough disk on floured work surface to 13-inch round. Transfer to pie dish. Trim excess dough, leaving 3/4-inch overhang. 

Roll out second dough disk on lightly floured surface to 13-inch round. Cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips.  Spoon filling into crust. Arrange half the dough strips atop filling, spacing evenly. Form lattice by placing remaining dough strips in opposite direction atop filling and weaving in and out if you like. Trim ends of dough strips even with overhang of bottom crust. Fold strip ends and overhang under, pressing to seal. Crimp edges decoratively.

Brush the egg glaze over crust and sprinkle with additional sugar.

Bake 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Bake pie until golden and filling thickens, about 1 hour 25 minutes. Transfer pie to rack and cool completely.

11 comments:

Raymond Homestead said...

Looks delicious!

Doreen Frost said...

YUM!!! That looks scrumptious. Sounds like you've been a pie baker for quite some time now :)!

Hugs, D

ctlogcabin said...

Jenn ~~ I LOVE Pies Too !!
Your Pie looks like a Blue Ribbon Winner to me,
I bet it was Yummy, Thank for sharing.
Love the childhood Memories ... Sweet Parents.
Have a Great Memorial Day Week-End !!
Love & Hugs My Friend ~~ xox

newburyarts said...

*****for a variation...instead of strawberries,
try raspberries or blackberries. the raspberry
addition is really good!

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Jenn,

Your rhubarb pie looks delicious and I adore your idyllic spot out in the garden, will be perfect sitting on the white wicker chair.
A sweet teacup too.

Happy week
Hugs
Carolyn

Beehive Needleworks said...

Ooohhhh, my mouth is absolutely watering....the pie looks simply luscious! I do love the lattice top...it adds a bit of the artistic to a pie. Enjoy your slice whilst admiring the lovely garden blooms.
Sending hugs to you Jenn...
Judy xo

Deppen homestead 1862 said...

Yummy~ Yummy for my tummy~ thanks for the recipe~
smiles
Teresa

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Oh my gosh does that ever look so yummy! I'll be right up for a piece!

Jill said...

Thanks for this recipe :) This is one of my dad's fav pies!

Rabbit Hill ~ Handmades by Jenn Tavoletti said...

thanks! I'll have to try that next time :)

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Jenn,
I wish the computer had a "scratch and sniff" button, or even better yet, a "taste" button!!
I hope to get some rhubard soon and know what I am going to make......Yumm!!!
Have a slice for me!!
Warm Hugs~~
Julie

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts