observations, ideas and inspiration... from my pennsylvania home, garden, kitchen, and studio

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The Pie's in the Bag


Yep!  In a bag. This is really my absolute favorite pie to bake and to eat.  I can't even tell you how much I love it. 


This pie recipe came from my sister-in-laws mom, Jeannie. 

Here she is....

We all love her and its not just because of her great recipes.

I just looked up this recipe for you, she gave it to me in 1996! 
Could I even use an oven at that age???

hmmm....

On with the pie.

You bake it in the bag and it's magical when it's done.

This recipe is actually for an Apple Cranberry Pie but I forgot to buy cranberries so your just looking at an apple pie.  I was too lazy busy to run back to the store. 

I always make this for Christmas.  It's so pretty, I will definitely share another picture when that time rolls around.

Have the best day ever!!
Jenn xo


 

Apple-Cranberry Pie...in a bag

6 Cups Tart Apples, peeled and sliced small
1 Cup Cranberries
1 Cup Sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon
2 1/2 TBSP Flour
1/4 tsp Salt
1 TBSP Lemon Juice (Did you know that the lemon juice helps soften the apples when baking?)
1 Pie Crust ~ unbaked and pressed in pie tin.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Mix all of the ingredients and place in pie pan.  Place in fridge while you make topping.

Topping
1/2 Cup Cold Butter
1/2 Cup Flour
1/2 Cup White Sugar

Mix flour and sugar together with fork.  Cut butter into this mixture until crumbly looking.

Take pie from fridge and spoon topping over pie.
Tuck pie in a brown paper bag.  Paper clip bag shut.  Spritz bag with water.  Place the pie on a cookie sheet because it always drips over and who has time to clean their oven at Christmas?

Put in preheated oven being careful that sides of bag do not touch oven.

before
  
after
Bake 1 hour.  When done, you cut it out of the bag.
 

It's just like a little present.
  

 I still get excited after all these years!

YUM!!
 



5 comments:

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Oooo does that ever look yummy!

ctlogcabin said...

The Pie looks Yummy !!!
Thanks for sharing Jenn.
Along with a great new recipe I also
got a good laugh ... cause I read
"The Pig's in the Bag" three times ... lol
Guess Paul is right he says I'm slightly off.
EnJoy the build up to the Bid Day.
Blessings, Love & Hugs xox

Earlene said...

Mmmm!!! I will try it this weekend.

Beehive Needleworks said...

Goodness...a pie in a bag!!! How very fun!!! Thank you for the delightful recipe Jenn!
Sending hugs your way ...
Judy xo

taylors*farmhouse*attic said...

MMMM!! Thanks for sharing! I always make an apple pie for Thanksgiving night...We may have one for Christmas and New Years this year...:)

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts