observations, ideas and inspiration... from my pennsylvania home, garden, kitchen, and studio

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Banana Walnut Scones... a simple recipe

Do you ever have too many overripe bananas?  Always!!
We love bananas but no matter how many (...or few) I buy, I always have a few left over.  
 
This morning it was raining, I was in the mood to bake, and I had these.....
Not in the mood to make my usual "go-to" recipe, (banana muffins)
I made these!  They have a lovely sweet biscuit-like texture and are very easy to make.
I used my favorite scone recipe and added banana's and walnuts.
I've posted my recipe below.
Now it is storming and hailing outside, a perfect time for a cup of tea!
Have a lovely day my friends.  xoxo Jenn
Banana Walnut Scones
Ingredients:
  2 cups all-purpose flour
  1 tablespoon baking powder
  1/2 teaspoon salt
  1/4 cup granulated sugar
  5 tablespoons cold butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
  3/4 cup half-n-half but heavy cream would be better!
  1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  1 whole ripe banana cut into pieces (about 1/2 cup)
  1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  Plus additional tablespoon of cream, and tablespoon of sugar for sprinkling on top.

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 425F degrees.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Quickly, while still cold, cut in the butter, using a pastry blender, or a fork, until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the  half-n-half (or heavy cream) and vanilla, and mix with a fork until dough just starts to form (about 30 seconds). Gently fold in bananas and walnuts.

Transfer dough and all dry flour bits to a very lightly floured countertop and knead dough just until it comes together into a slightly sticky ball. Pat the dough into a  9" circle, about 3/4" thick. Cut the circle into 8 wedges.

Put scones ungreased baking sheet or baking stone. Brush the tops with a little cream and sprinkle with sugar. 

Bake scones until tops are light brown, 12-15  minutes.  Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.  Serve warm or at room temperature.  Freeze right away if not eating all that day.  Makes 8 scones.

No comments:

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts