observations, ideas and inspiration... from my pennsylvania home, garden, kitchen, and studio

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Irish Blessings and Scones for Breakfast


May your thoughts be as glad as the shamrocks,
May your heart be as light as a song,
May each day bring you bright, happy hours,
That stay with you all the year long.

Oh my I can't believe it's St. Patrick's Day! Every year I have the tradition of remembering that I was SUPPOSE to plant sweet peas today. And to carry on that tradition I'll be running out later to buy seeds and plant them next week....I'd hate to break tradition.

I've been following a great blog lately called Decor to Adore. For the past two weeks she's been writing and showing lots of lovely pictures of Ireland and Irish customs.....thatched roof cottages, Irish linens, castles, crystal, china and more. If your in the mood stop on over to visit her, you won't be disappointed.

Get your popcorn poppin'...for all who love "The Quiet Man", its on TCM tonight at 8:00 p.m. One of my favorite movies of all time.

Inspired by a friend to do a little something, since I am a little Irish, this morning I made Irish scones....they go lovely with a cup of tea. I'm also going to serve "green milk" to Lydia to go with her scones ~ Thanks Connie!!


Perfect Irish Scones

2 Cups Flour
1 TBSP Baking Powder
2 TBSP Sugar
Pinch Salt
1/2 Stick Butter (4 TBSP)
1/4 Golden Raisins (add more if you like)
1 Large Egg
1/2 Cup Milk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray a baking sheet lightly with non-stick cooking oil.

Sift flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into large bowl. Use a pastry blender or your fingers to work the butter into the dry mixture. It should resemble very fine breadcrumbs when done. Add raisins.
Whisk the milk and egg together. Add almost all of it to flour mixture...reserve about 3 TBSP. Mix with a fork, just don't overmix or they will be tough. If the dough seems dry add the rest, if not reserve for later.

Sprinkle a little flour on your countertop and dump out the dough. Knead a few times then shape into a large thick circle...about 2 inches thick. Using a biscuit cutter or glass cut into circles, re-rolling the dough to make more as needed. If you have any milk mixture left, pour into a small bowl. If not just add about 1/4 cup milk into bowl. Dip your cut scones into milk and place on baking sheet. Sprinkle tops with sugar.

Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes then turn pan and bake additional 5 minutes to a golden brown. Let cool 5 minutes on wire rack. Serve with butter and raspberry jam.

Happy St. Patrick's Day and remember...

"In Heaven there is no beer that's why we drink it here."

6 comments:

Janet - underthewillow said...

What??!!....no beer in heaven??....nobody ever told me that!!....LOL....that's cute, I've never heard that one before....the scones look yummy....my paternal grandfather was born in Ireland so I've got a big chunk o' the green in me....Happy St. Patrick's Day! Janet :)

ctlogcabin said...

Dear Jenn ~~ Happy Saint Partick's Day to all of you at Rabbit Hill. Your such a sweetie, hope Lydia enjoyed her green milk. Your scones look yummy...I will try that recipe soon, thanks for sharing. Sending Love & Warm Irish Hugs from the Cabin ~~ Connie xox
PS ~~ I may be at some of our favorite shops in PA this Friday, wish you were going to be there. :-)

Janet - underthewillow said...

me again!....I just wanted to say THANK YOU for the kind comments about my home!....have a wonderful day Jenn! Janet :)

A Bit of Colour said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you. Thank you for the recipe.

Decor To Adore said...

The award for the MOST adorable person of the day goes to Jenn. Thank you my sweet lassie~!:)

Doreen Frost said...

Hi Jenn:). For some reason..I didn't see you had a new post..i'm so sorry I am late getting over here....wishing your a happy belated st. patty's day!!!

Thanks so much for this recipe...It looks great:)

Hugs,
Doreen

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts