observations, ideas and inspiration... from my pennsylvania home, garden, kitchen, and studio

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Sweet Rhubarb...a fruit or vegetable??

I was so surprised to see rhubarb at our local grocery store this past week. Yet another sign of what's coming. This picture was taken last May. I couldn't resist buying it though. It was one of those need to have it moments. And it makes a lusciously divine pie. Don't you just love that word...luscious? Makes you want it right? It's one of those words that when you say it you know exactly what it means.

Sorry I got off track...

I'm lucky my kid's not picky. She's been eating rhubarb since she could walk. She even has her own secret recipe called "rhubarb delight". Which is basically stewing it with lots of sugar in the microwave until it's mushy and serving it on saltines. If you visit our house in May you are forced to eat "rhubarb delight" by cuteness.

Below is the pie recipe I have been making for years. You can find rhubarb in the freezer section with other fruits if you don't have it available fresh and really NEED to have it.

Oh and it's a vegetable by the way.

Have a luscious day....


Sweet Rhubarb Pie

6 cups rhubarb cut into 3/4" pieces
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch (I've used flour when I don't have this)
Pinch of salt
Topping (recipe below)
Your favorite pie crust....mine is here

I have a problem rolling out pie crust so I usually roll it out between two pieces of wax paper to a 14" circle. Flip over and remove bottom piece of wax paper. The top is much prettier than the bottom and its easier in the long run. Flip over pie crust onto a 9" pie dish and pull off the other piece of wax paper. Fit dough into bottom and sides of plate gently. Trim dough to about 1" from the rim; fold and crimp edges. Refrigerate approx 1 hour unless your dough is already chilled.


Make your topping now:

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
Pinch of salt
6 tablespoons cold butter cut into pieces

In a medium bowl, mix flour, light-brown sugar, granulated sugar, and salt. With a pastry cutter or your hands, work in butter until large, moist clumps form. Chill, covered, until ready to use.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a large bowl, toss rhubarb with sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Pour into pie shell; sprinkle with topping. Place pie on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet and put on lowest rack in oven. Reduce heat to 375 degrees. Bake about 1 1/2 hours, until topping and crust are lightly browned. (If topping or crust begins to brown too quickly, tent with foil.) Cool completely before serving.

3 comments:

ctlogcabin said...

Mornin Jenn ~~ That is one Luscious Looking Pie....ymmmm I also love words, Scrumptious is another good one, and Debauchery...lol well we wont even go there. :-)
Have a great week-end !! Hugs ~ Connie xox

Blu Rabbit Design said...

Hi Jenn,
You brought back memories of my grandmother
with your rhubard delight. She would make
the mush on the stove and we would have it on toast for breakfast!
Donna :-)

Martha said...

I love rhubard pie, my Mom would make it and after I got married I would make it! I have not made one in gosh knows how many years! I did buy a small one the other day at the bakery though, not the same as homemade!
Martha
And I was going to say vegtable!

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts