This salmon dish I thought was delicious and so did my family. Lydia added some black corn tortilla chips crunched over the top of hers. It's a Rachael Ray recipe from her "365 No Repeats" 30 Minute Meals Cookbook. I'm really all about the speed of getting dinner done also. This one took me about 40 minutes from start to finish WITH distractions ~ pretty good.
Its a funny thing being married to an Italian. I've noticed that they take lots of pictures of food. Dino's uncle from Jersey emails us photos of food all the time. Everytime I take a food picture I think "Would Zio Ugo like this one??" I wonder if he's reading this. Hi Ugo! Ha ha!
Lime and Honey Glazed Salmon with Warm Black Bean and Corn Salad
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (divided use)
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (1/3 palmful)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 2 limes
- 3 tablespoons honey (3 gobs)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (1/3 palmful)
- 4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 1 (10-ounce) box frozen corn kernels, defrosted
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 6 cups baby spinach
- Preheat a medium skillet over medium heat with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil (twice around the pan). Add the onions, garlic, red pepper flakes, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.
- While the onions are cooking, preheat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- In a shallow dish, combine the juice of 1 lime, honey, chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Add the salmon fillets to the lime-honey mixture and toss to coat thoroughly. Add the seasoned salmon to the hot skillet and cook until just cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. I broiled mine and would probably grill this in warmer weather.
- To the cooked onions, add the bell pepper and corn kernels and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken stock and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the black beans and cook until the beans are just heated through.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and add the juice of the second lime, the cilantro and the spinach. Toss to wilt the spinach and then taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve the lime-and-honey-glazed salmon on top of the warm black bean and corn salad.