observations, ideas and inspiration... from my pennsylvania home, garden, kitchen, and studio

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Delight of Delights ~ Baked Spaghetti and Mozzarella!

Last night while we were eating dinner I realized tomorrow is What's Cookin' Wednesday, boy do the weeks fly by.  I had everyone stop eating so that I could take a quick picture. 

This recipe comes from Martha Stewart Everyday Food.  It was everything we want in a recipe....home cooked, easy and fast, and tasted delightful.  Remember I was working on that website update and I still had time to cook dinner!  That doesn't usually happen.  So here it is.  Hope you enjoy!!



This is what it looked like in her magazine.  She didn't have the set designer I did!
Baked Spaghetti and Mozzarella

coarse salt
2 cans (28 oz) whole peeled tomatoes (I used Dei Fratelli's)
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
3/4 pound spaghetti
2 cups packed basil leaves ~ torn
3/4 pound fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2 1/2 cups)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Set a large pot of salted water to boil.  In a food processor, pulse tomatoes until coarsely chopped.  In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high.  Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.  Add tomatoes and bring to a boil.  (I add a little coarse salt also)  Cook at a rapid simmer until sauce thickens, about 12 minutes.  Meanwhile, cook pasta 5 minutes (it will still be crunchy).  Drain pasta and return to pot.  Add tomato sauce, basil, and half the mozzarella and toss to combine.  Transfer mixture to a 3-quart baking dish and top with remaining cheese.  Bake until cheese is golden and edges are bubbling ,about 25 minutes.

5 comments:

Hillcresthome Prims said...

That looks sooo yummy, now I want some. I can smell it through the screen!!!!
Thanks for the recipe!!!

Prim Blessings,
Tricia

ctlogcabin said...

Mmmmm I'm starving .... this sounds Delish and fast like you said. I will try this soon to bad I didnt check earlier. lol Thanks !!
Love & Hugs ~~ xox

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Jenn,

The secret is taking the photos before everyone starts eating.
This looks delicious and I often make a big dish like this too and good to have something fast and easy.

Hugs
Carolyn

Thistlebrooms said...

Guess my dinner invitation got LOST in the mail...hehehe

Looks good Jenn and I guess it was kinda difficult to say "WAIT, I have to take a picture first"...
Have a Great weekend...
Always
~Marilyn

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Oh my goodness Jen, this looks so AMAZING!!! I wish that first serving was MINE!! You always have the best looking food items and recipes!

If I lived close by, I would always be finding a reason to drop in right around dinnertime!!

Thanks for sharing....wish I meant that LITERALLY!!!lol
Blessings~
Julie

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts