observations, ideas and inspiration... from my pennsylvania home, garden, kitchen, and studio

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Pumpkin Days & Blackberry Nights

This past weekend we went to our most favorite pumpkin place in Ohio. 


"Pumpkin Farm" is located between Columbiana and New Middletown, Ohio.

We discovered it last year after leaving the "Christmas in the Woods" festival and now it's part of the tradition.


They have so many different kinds of squash (or is it squashes?)

It's hard to pick a favorite...just like penny candy only better!!!



I brought home that dark blackish green one down there with the really long skinny stem.


Stems are so important in the pumpkin picking process and you DON'T hold a pumpkin by it's stem!  (My momma raised me right.)

But if you happen to have kids or grandkids, like the 4 that were there....

Who seemed to enjoy ripping off the stems... (the cracking just breaks my heart).

You could stack them to make pumpkin mushrooms or carve faces into them for pumpkin people.

Just trying to keep it positive here.

Speaking about positive...

I know today is Wednesday and I keep forgetting to take pictures for Wednesday Cooking so last night I broke down and made this!!!!!

And I plan on making this again and again and again, for the rest of my life.  Amen.

I finally made it Doreen.  It is fantastic!!!
The recipe is from Vermont Harvest Folk Art's blog.

I have been wanting to make this since Doreen posted the recipe back in the middle of August!  (Her pictures are much more prettier than mine.)

I bought the blackberries freshly picked from an Amish farm and everything. Well....school started (math homework uggh!) and fall shows and orders.  Needless to say the blackberries went into the freezer until last night.  I'm sure glad I bought enough to make another 3 crisps!  I'm also sure that this would be just as tasty using frozen berries in the off season months.  I did double the crust just like Doreen said.  It is wonderful.  Go out and buy some berries, it will make you so happy!

Well that's it for me today.  I'm outta here!  Have a good one.

Jenn xoxo

11 comments:

Linda said...

Hi Jenn.........love all of your pumpkins pics!
You'll have to tell more about Christmas in the Woods. I haven't heard of it before.
I'm glad that you found my blog.
I meant to tell you that if your Mom needs more of the fabric for her foot stool I saw the same pattern on Angel House Designs site.
Linda

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Jenn~
I LOVE all those pumpkins and squash!!! Your pictures are really good so I can't even imagine how gorgeous it really was in person!!
The dessert looks AMAZING!! I can almost smell it!! I love berry cobblers, grunts, buckles, and crisps and this one looks like a winner!!
Just wanted to invite you to stop by my blog for my Giveaway I'm having!
Thanks for sharing!
Blessings~
Julie

Janet - underthewillow said...

Hi Jenn!...what an amazing pumpkin patch that is!...I am thinking that you must have found a new camera and figured out how to work it because your pics are lookin' great!

Janet

Karen ~ Life In A Primitive English Cottage said...

What I wouldn't give to have a place like that right here in England!

The Blackberry squash recipe, well here in the UK we call it Blackberry Crumble, the ingredients for the topping are virtually the same and we use whatever fruits are in season underneath the "crumble", like apples, rhubarb, black currants and so on. My mum makes a mean apple crumble!

Hugs,
Karen

Beehive Needleworks said...

LOVE the pumpkin patch photographs! It brings back lovely childhood memories...I always looked forward to "our" Pumpkin Farm.

Your blackberry crisp is beautiful, almost too pretty to eat! I do enjoy baking, and have two loaves of spiced pumpkin bread in the oven as I write this. The aroma of pantry spices is soooo very yummmmy.

Enjoy your day Jenn...perhaps accompanied by a bit of crisp with fresh cream?

Hugs,
Judy

Thistlebrooms said...

I'm just Lovin' ALL the nubby pumpkins in your top photo Jenn...
AND I like your choice of the pumpkin with the L-O-N-G stem!!!
Such a wonderful time of the year...
Crisp Autumn Days and Cool Nights...

A wonderful Fall tradition along with a Beautiful day...

My Best
~Marilyn

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Jenn,

Loved seeing all the varieties, what fun at the pumpkin patch!
Also the blackberry pie looks delicious.

Happy rest of the week
Hugs
Carolyn

Doreen Frost said...

Yum!!! Your crisp looks wonderful Jenn :)! What a fantastic pumpkin patch..I LOVE the dark pumpkins with the long stems..I've never seen them before!

Have a fantastic day :)
Hugs, D

ps.......
I'm making something today..although I've not decided what just yet however, I am dying for pumpkin pie....and..we have bad weather coming in, a Nor'easter actually, so I thought it would be a perfect time for baking and perhaps I will put on...The Holiday :)

ctlogcabin said...

Jenn ~~ I was ooohhhing & aahhhing so much Paul came over to see what I was looking at. lol Love, Love, Love all the PumPkin & Squash photos.
The Wagon one was Awesome !! Going over to check out the recipe on Doreen's Blog .... it looks Delish !! Thanks for sharing.
Love & Hugs ~~ Connie xox

SweetAnnee said...

oh what great gourds and pumpkins
and the Blackberry Cobbler

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Love all of the pictures on your road trip to the "Pumpkin Patch Farm"! The ones that are my favorites are the pumpkins and gourds that have all the nubbies,bumps,lumps and warts! Thank you for sharing all your great pictures.

Carolyn from Des Moines, Iowa :)

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts