observations, ideas and inspiration... from my pennsylvania home, garden, kitchen, and studio

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Update Coming and Banana Roll Recipe


I am STILL working on that website update that I keep talking about.  I'm setting the date.  It will be on Monday, November 1st 8 p.m. sharp.  I'll be offering anytime primitives and a few early Christmas primitives.  Be there or be square!  (I think I just had an 1980's flashback from middle school.)

Can you believe we are coming to that time again?  Christmastime!  As in "deck them halls and all that stuff.  Santa Claus and ho-ho-ho, and mistletoe and presents to pretty girls."

Hang in there I am going somewhere with this.

This morning I was planning on making my usual banana muffins with the sorry looking brown bananas I always have left over.  Then I got the mail.  And I received this.  A postcard for Windles Log Cabin Antiques Christmas Open House.  A wonderful open house with lots of goodies.  Thank you Connie for passing along this lovely little gem a few years back."

Every time I visit Windles my friend Audrey asks me to bring her back some of their delightful banana rolls.  That got me thinking.  I can make a banana roll! 

So I did.


Although I think theirs is better.


But mine still taste pretty yummy.


Doesn't it always seem better if someone else makes it?


This is what I did....


Banana Roll


Cake:
Powdered sugar
3/4 C. all-purpose flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
3 eggs
1 C sugar
2/3 C. mashed banana (2 medium bananas)

Filling:
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1 C. powdered sugar, sifted
6 T. butter, softened
1 t. vanilla extract
1/3 Cup Walnuts chopped fine (optional)
1/4 C. powdered sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease 15×10 inch jelly-roll pan and line it with foil, parchment or waxed paper. Grease and flour that and set aside.


In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda.

In a large bowl combine eggs and sugar; beat until thickened. Add banana; beat until well mixed.

Stir in flour mixture into egg mixture. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan, easing it carefully to the corners.

Bake for 10 - 13 minutes or until center springs back when lightly touched.

Immediately loosen cake from edges of pan.  I inverted the cake onto a kitchen towel lightly sprinkled with powdered sugar.  But you can lift off and invert onto another piece of wax paper.

Carefully peel off paper. Roll up cake if using a towel while hot, starting with 10-inch side. Cool completely on wire rack....about 1/2 hour - hour.

When cake is almost completely cooled, make the filling: beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until smooth.

When cake has cooled completely, (unroll cake if your rolled) and spread with filling.  I then sprinkled chop walnuts (anytime I can add nuts I do since they are so healthy for you but this is entirely optional).  Roll cake. Wrap rolled cake in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour.


When ready to serve, unwrap cake and place on a platter. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired (sift the sugar through a small mesh strainer for a nice presentation). Cut into slices.

7 comments:

BumbleBeeLane said...

Sounds Yummy! Of course I like the idea of someone else making it as well.LoL..Can't wait to see your prim offerings.Harvest Blessings!~Amy

Janet - underthewillow said...

Hi Jenn!...your banana roll looks beautiful and delicious!...that antique open house sure sounds like fun, and I will be looking forward to your update!...gonna mark my calendar now!

Janet

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Jenn,

Love your sweet little wooly sheep.
What a delicious looking banana roll, making me feel hungry just looking at it.

Happy Thursday
Hugs
Carolyn

Doreen Frost said...

Oh..this look so tasty!!!! Wonderful job Jenn!

LOVE your sheep!!!

That is one of my FAVORITE lines from Charlie Brown's Christmas!!!

Hugs, D

Beehive Needleworks said...

Good morning Jenn ~ I am so looking forward to your Update...your handmade goodes are ever so delightful!
Thank you kindly for the banana roll recipe...so yummy. It shall be tucked into my recipe box until the perfect "baking day."
Hugs & blessings...J

ctlogcabin said...

Oh Jenn ~~ I was just thinking about Diane & her Open House yesterday ..... I didnt get my mail yet will go check now. Not sure if I will make it down this year ..... but it is something I look forward to, what Fun !! Paul loves the Banana & Pumpkin Rolls they sell so he will be a Happy Camper if I try your recipe .... Thanks for sharing. Will peek in and drool over your Early Christmas Offerings.
Love & Big Hugs ~ Connie xox

Anonymous said...

ooh yummy...I have got to make this. I make pumpkin rolls for the holidays I bet my kids will love this version with bananas. Thanks so much for sharing.

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts