observations, ideas and inspiration... from my pennsylvania home, garden, kitchen, and studio

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Hearty Hearts and Pot Roast

I love to sit and hand stitch things at night. Makes me feel like I'm with the family but also keeps my hands busy....and you can watch American Idol too! These sweet little HEART pin keeps are made with old gray and red wools. Each comes with a little make-do wool covered hat pin. They are listed on my Ebay this week. To take a peak, click on the link to the left and down a little "Other Places You Can Find Me"

Now I know the next recipe is boring but I love good HEARTY meals in the winter that make your house smell yummy. We've got to be inside we may as well enjoy it. The key to this roast is cooking it slow at a low temperature.

....don't you like how I tied in the heart theme??? Does anyone get my sense of humor out there?? sorry...

BRAISED POT ROAST
2 TBSP Olive Oil
Flour/Salt and Pepper to coat roast
2 - 3 lbs Beef ~ I use Rump Roast or Chuck Roast
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp basil
2 leaves crumbled dried sage
1 Bay Leaf
1/2 tsp Salt and Pepper
1 Large Sweet Onion Chopped
1 tsp minced garlic...about 2 cloves
2 Cups Beef Broth or Boiling Water
1 Cup Chopped Carrots
2 Ribs of Chopped Celery
5 - 6 Small Potatoes Cubed

Preheat oven 250 degrees. In a roasting pan (or I like to use my cast iron skillet), heat the olive oil over medium heat. Flour the roast and place it in the dish. Brown thoroughly on all sides and remove from pan.

Pour beef broth in pan and scrap the bottom loosening up all the bits and pieces from browning.

Season the roast with dried herbs and gently place fat side up. Add the garlic and onion, salt and pepper and bay leaf. Add more broth or water if needed...I usually add about a 1/2 cup more water since there is so much sodium in broth. Cover tightly with lid or foil and roast. After 2 hours I turn it and then turn again in 2 more hours. During the first turn I add the carrots, celery and potatoes and let cook until soft.

Remove the roast and let stand at least 15 minutes. Thicken the juices up while waiting...Add about 3 tablespoons of flour and about 1/4 cup of the juice in glass jar or cup and blend. Whisk this back to the pot and let thicken.

5 comments:

Doreen Frost said...

Very good tie in Jenn:)..The pot roast looks yummy and I love the wool hearts.

~i was here to visit earlier..was going to leave you a message and the phone rang and I got sidetracked.

Have a great night
Doreen

Elm Hollow Primitives said...

Hi Jenn-We to had roast tonight with mashpotatoes and biscuits. Yum Yum. Yours looks very good. I love the hearts you are very talented. Have a warm week.
Tootalls-Donna

Back in the Day said...

Found you while blog surfing! Love the wool hearts! I too love to stitch in the living room with the family - I actually just blogged about that a few hours ago!

Tracy said...

Hey Jenn, my roast NEVER comes out looking like that. Looks great!

Janet - underthewillow said...

I am doing some blog hopping this evening, not sure how I came across your's Jenn but the hearts look really really nice!....and the dinner looks mighty yummy! Janet :)

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts